Friday, April 16, 2010

FAMILY PORTRAIT


Pop songs, on a radio,
scratched at the darkness

Doors shut and opened
throughout the house

Your parents were snoring
but nothing was trustworthy

Chance had left you
to wall and ceiling angles

that converged, like feelings,
foreshortening corners

In a dream you ventured out
into the unfamiliar woods

prowled trees
adorned with scalps

and the dead snapped back,
stinging across the face.

Scurry, dampness,
and torch light
,
turned the warrior
back for breath.

No telling how
frightened or captive

the family would look
in the kitchen, in the morning

1 comment:

  1. As I read this, I got the feeling I was looking at an old family photo I'd never seen before -- a moment perfectly remembered, but only just now when I saw the snapshot.

    ---johnm

    ReplyDelete